Comfort Foods: Chili, Cornbread, Mac n Cheese, Cookie
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 package pork Italian sausage
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
Small can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1/2 cup beer
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1 Tablespoon instant beef bouillon (or 3 cubes)
1 Tablespoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
2-3 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
Hot sauce to taste
1 teaspoon cornmeal
1 teaspoon flour
1 teaspoon warm water
1. In a large saucepan brown the beef and the pork. Drain the fat reserving about 1 tablespoon in the pan.
2. Cook the onions and garlic in the fat until tender.
3. Add the cooked meat back to the pan. Stir to combine.
4. Add the tomato sauce, water, beer, chili powder, bouillon, cumin, paprika, sugar, cocoa, cayenne pepper, and hot sauce. Mix well.
5. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for an hour.
6. In a small bowl, make a roux by combining the cornmeal and flour, and adding the warm water. Stir into chili and cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes.
7. Spoon into bowls and top with shredded cheese and avocado.
CHEDDAR MAC & CHEESE
2 cups medium shell pasta
2 1/4 milk
1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
butter to grease pan
1. Put pasta and milk in a medium sized sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir often for about 20 minutes until milk is absorbed and pasta is soft.
2. Add cheese to pan and stir to combine.
3. Transfer to a well-buttered mini cast iron skillet and top with Italian bread crumbs. Bake for 15 minutes.
HONEY CORNBREAD STICKS
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease your cornbread mold and place inside oven to preheat.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat together whole milk, eggs, butter and honey, until light and creamy.
3. Add cornmeal, flour, salt,sugar, and baking powder. Mix until smooth.
5. Scoop mixture into mold and fill about 3/4 full.
6. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
CHOCOLATE CHIP SKILLET COOKIE
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
2. Stir in sugars and vanilla and remove from heat.
3. Once pan is no longer very hot, add the egg to the butter and sugar mixture. Whisk it into the mixture.
4. Add flour, baking soda, and salt, to the mixture. Stir until well-mixed. Finally, add chocolate chunks.
5.Place in the oven for 15-25 minutes, or until starting to turn golden on the top and around the edges, but still soft in the center.